Sunday, August 16, 2009

Over Dramatic?

My daughter thinks I am being over dramatic... I just read and signed her World History class syllabus. Unit 2 is " The World of Islam". I have a problem with this. My first and largest concern is the teacher who is teaching this class is a liberal hippie anti-war problem. She was often corrected for teaching revised history by my son Pokey. And once she even tried to give him detention for his opinion that war protesters during Vietnam were Hippies. I explained to the school that my children will not be punished for their opinion. He never served the detention and she was caught in a lie about having called me about his "behavior". I do not trust this teacher to teach this topic objectively. She hates the military and I just know in my bones she will try and make the Muslims into gentlemen farmers who had their land stolen and are just fighting to get it back. BLARG!!!

My daughter is of the opinion that I am being dramatic because I will be going to the school and asking for more information. I reminded her that in Afghanistan today they passed a law that said husbands can starve their wives if they refuse to have sex. This is a culture that treats women and children as possessions to be used and abused. This is a culture that has no respect for life on any level. Death to them is honor. This is the culture and religion that took my son from me. So yes I am fuming.

I will be going to the school and requesting a full outline of the unit and how it will be presented. I will not allow the Muslim world to be glamorized or made into the victims. Which is what I truly fear will happen in this classroom.

9 comments:

a12iggymom said...

Nope, not over dramatic. I would be up there with a Bible, and a Torah and demanding equal time. Teaching of islam in schools is proving to the uninformed that "see, they teach this but not the others, so it must be correct" menatlity.

Unknown said...

Bleeping bleep bleep.

Dyanna said...

I don't think you're being over dramatic at all. Please keep us posted on what the school says....BTW, what grade is this?

Knottie said...

10th grade Dyanna

kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kris said...

oh, and btw

I'd be telling that "teacher" than she can stick any ideas about "dress" and "names" right up her ass and that not daughter of mine will submit, even for 30 minutes to the hijab or to their false prophet.

then, of course, I would tell her to have a nice day.

muppets.

PearlsofHonor said...

As a parent you have every right to ask questions about what your children are taught. Just remember to be level headed and try to hear the other side over your anger.

Holger Awakens said...

Islam is no religion and for a school to teach about a violent political ideology is a travesty.

I wouldn't just be there asking for an outline, I'd be there asking why they weren't also offering "World of Naziism."

If they insist on teaching it, perhaps this teacher's first words on the subject should be this: "Islam's goal is for everyone of you boys and girls to either submit and convert to Islam or kill you."

alexa said...

Right on! You are not being dramatic, nevermind overly dramatic. Too many young people think we're supposed to tolerate ANYTHING in the interest of being "true" to their "liberal" self-perception.

I haven't belonged to a religion for many years and don't anticipate ever returning to it. Though I do believe in the power of prayer (I have my reasons), I don't believe in religious customs being performed by those who do not belong to that religion.

It is intensely important that more people get personally involved in what is happening in the school rooms. What you are doing is exactly what many more of us should be doing.

Good for you.