Friday, October 3, 2008

The Coin


“How do we spend the coin of our life?

Some choose how they want to spend it, some have the choice made for them.
The bravest people I know have put the coin on the table, willing to cash it for what they believe.

For fate reasons unknown, some have it cashed, while others are able to pick the coin up to be played again.

How do you want to spend the coin of your life?”-Steve in NC


I read this a few days ago and it struck something within me. For months now I’ve asked myself how to play the cards I’ve been dealt. It wasn’t until I read this and put my thoughts into terms of a coin that I realize I had something valuable. Something I could cash in or horde.
My son realized he had a coin to spend. He chose to invest his coin. He invested his coin in the Army. In return he would get training, education and the bonds of friendship that very few know or and even fewer understand. He invested it in his country and himself. It was a high-risk investment. He lost his life making that investment and from the outside looking in people will think he lost on that investment. I don’t.
The investment he made has had a great many other coins come from it. Many people received them and many of them are now holding a coin asking themselves.. How would this man, whose investment gave me this coin, want me to play this coin?
I realized also that in giving me this coin my son has given me another gift. It is the knowledge that we have more choices than spending or hording the coin.. we can also invest it.
So here I sit with this precious coin and I have to figure out how to invest it. How can I best lay this coin on the table of life so that it touches the most lives in the most positive way. And I realize to do that I must share my son and his story with the world.

Welcome to Knottie’s Niche… the story of an Army Mom and her son.

3 comments:

billie barracuda said...

Wonderful! You took Steve's parable to a logical and moving conclusion. All the best. I can't wait to hear more.

billie barracuda said...

"Men of whom the world is not worthy."

That's your son.

Mr. Alimony said...

There are some things only a few can understand. One is to give your life for something or someone you love and hold in highest regard. The Legislator just does not understand this highest of all human acts. Don't let this bother you as he is not worth the sweat from your son's brow. May God Bless you and may you feel the warmth of your son's touch as you live on memorializing and loving him. Dave Robins, Sherwood, OR